Earn 100fpp's after signing up & i'll send you $35!

February 01, 2006

I'm Saying Nothing

I decided to deposit some money into my pokerstars account recently and have been playing a few multi table tournaments (MTT's) on there and the odd Sit N Go with varying successes. In my opinion pokerstars has the best range of MTT's on the net in terms of regularity, stakes, chip stacks and blinds. I also feel it has the best software, graphics, user friendliness etc.- in short its my preferred site to play on. I have, however noticed that it is infested with loud mouthed poker coach, know-it-alls, who seem to believe it is their sole function at the table to discuss strategy, their hands, other player's hands and in general verbally spew their entire game plan onto the cyber-felt in front of them.

I hadn't really thought about this much until a couple of nights ago and to be honest i have in the past myself been guilty of lambasting my opponent for a weak call or asking why matey boy "has just done so and so in that position", or showing a hand because someone asked me too. I had just accepted it as part of the game and wanted to vent my anger at the 'poisson merde' that just called my all-in with rags and got lucky. So it took a totally innocent and genuine barrage of questions from a complete novice to get me thinking about this subject.... picture the scene.....

Now, this may sound a wee bit sad but the real pokergirlie, my adorable girlfriend likes to sit and watch me play on the net... partly because she is learning to play and partly because she thinks she is better than me (probably not far wrong on current form) :-( - only joking.... she is a complete novice but enjoys to watch - the point to this diversion into my evening currciulum with the real pokergirlie??....

- Well, I was playing on one particular table and it was particularly 'knowlegeable' - full of loveable (not) americans all telling each other how fishy they are and how in deed they 'own' each other "i own you daaawg" (what on earth is a daaawg anyway?) (This speach play in my opinion is as good as declaring to the table that they are capable of moves and bluffing) etc. etc. - you get the picture. I am looking on in amusement at the chat box when i hear the following question.... "Why are they all talking about their hands?" i respond with, "oh some players just like to do that when they think they've been clever and made a bluff". Question 2.... "But, why would you do that, surely they are giving away their tactics aren't they?", Response 2.... "errr, well I suppose they are". Another five minutes of poker 101 for begginners ensues on the screen in front of me when in my left ear i get Question 3...

"Did that guy just show his hand?" - response 3... "errr... yes darling, you can do that if you want" Question 4.... "But why would you ever do that? Response 4.... Well, I didn't really have one! At first I just answered the questions defending the other players actions and not really thinking about it, but as the game went on, the coaching just became more and more frequent and to be honest it annoyed me that these guys were discussing all the hands (some that they weren't even in) and were telling some of the other players, who were quite clearly useless or new to the game or both how to play and what not to do etc. It triggered something inside of me (the stubborn bone i think) and I have therefore decided that from now on at the poker table (either live or online) i will only talk about issues unrelated to the game and i will never show a hand to anyone unless i can see it being of benefit to me later in the game (i will never show a hand just for the sake of it - i just can't see what value at all there is in doing this)


Anyone think this is a good or bad strategy or am i just getting old, grumpy, fed up and annoyed at being out of form?

Answers on a picture card please.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Wonky said...

I've also been thinking about this recently. I'm 99% internet cash and never ever show a hand (well maybe once every 30000 hands or so) but playing live (especailly in the cash games), I feel the urge to show quite a lot...silly isnt it?

3/2/06 12:27 am

 

Post a Comment

<< Home